Monday, January 09, 2006

Off to a crazy start...


If any of you have read Jack Kerouac' On the Road then you might understand like what my holidays were like. I took two weeks off of work as I had a bunch of time off I needed to use up. The first week I went to Denver to visit with my sister and her family. Nice traditional celebration, and then I came back to Tucson. So the night I flew in I met up with some friends at the Buffet (first sign of trouble). Around closing time we decided we didn't want to be in Tucson for the New Years, so we all piled into my car went to each other's houses grabbed a change of clothes and left. First stop San Diego, didn't sleep there, but partied with some people I don't know. At this point we've been up for over 36 hours and are running on adrenaline, booze, a hot-boxed car, and stupidty. So we leave for L.A. crash during the day at some kids apartment in Thousand Oaks. Don't really do anything there except sleep for 8 hours. Drive up to San Fransisco. Stay with some friends who live in Knob Hill. Did the New Years thing there, hit a couple of house parties, went to club for which we all had to buy nice outfits (luckily the girl we were staying with was the bartender there so we didn't have to pay the $60 cover charge - it was Azul Lounge for you San Fran dwellers), hit up a bar called Delerium (it had a red tinge to it, but reminded me of Ches), went to another bar (i think it was called tongue and groove? that was still serving beer at 4am. Hit up the end of a warehouse/rave party (that was lame), and then wafflehouse. Around 10am we leave San Fran for Reno. Stayed at another person's apartment, went to some really cool local bars that had good jazz music. It was a nice bookend to the beginning of the trip. Called work and said I wasn't going to be able to make it in till Wed. morning on account of losing track of time. They were cool with it. We leave Tues morning (around 5am) take turns driving and sleeping. Make it back to Tucson in just over 14 hours, almost stopping for a night in Vegas, but realizing we barely had any money for gas to get home and were out of time. All in all a little crazy and I spent last weekend sleeping. Good times. The pics are some random shots from San Fran. And since it has been so warm here we have decided to also go skydiving next weekend. I don't know if that is really a good reason, but what the hell.

P.S. Meek's twin (the red-haired kid that was two years behind us) interviewed for a job at my office today...kinda funny

8 Comments:

Blogger vandub said...

Kerouac? that's awesome.He was one of my favorites for a while.
You was in san fran, where we all were, and no call out?

5:52 PM  
Blogger weibeld said...

i lost $10 because you werent at chovies on the 29th of december, bastard.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Erik said...

Little known fact about me, I'm a complusive reader (such a horrible little secret). I discovered Kerouac in High School and have attempted to live that lifestyle since then, to little success though. As I was skating in the rain across the Bay Bridge I thought about the fact that people I went to school with lived there and would be there for the holidays that I should call someone, but I didn't. I think the real reason was that time was moving to fast for me to even recognize where I was, but I know I will be back to San Fran. since my friends and I had such a good time there. Sorry about the 10 bucks Doug, I'll buy you a beer next time I see you (I got plans for New York in June).

8:40 PM  
Blogger weibeld said...

i didnt really lose ten bucks. i think i said "i bet petersens there though," so i guess you have only cost me my pride. also, let it be known petersen recommends good books. have you read a book called zero?

8:42 PM  
Blogger ass2006 said...

Hi, a nice blog you have here. You will surely get an bookmark :) Forum

2:28 AM  
Blogger meeks said...

hey, when did stinky morefield join the blog?

4:59 AM  
Blogger WYATT said...

I am in the market for great reads these days...snigger schoff. I am serious. I have found a new passion for reading and amd making up for lost time. I know hard to believe. Any suggestions from wiser and more well-read are welcome

11:19 AM  
Blogger Erik said...

some good books that require a little thought are -
Naked Lunch - William S Burroughs
Six Questions of Socrates - Christopher Phillips
The Power of One - Bryce Courtney
The Four Agreements - Don Miguel Ruiz
The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho

Some fun reads that don't require as much thought -
The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
A Kind of Flying - Ron Carlson
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell - Susanna Clark
The Eight - Katherine Neville

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home